What is Regenerative HT?
Regenerative HT or regenerative hair transplant is a non-surgical hair transplant alternative to treat hair loss that uses advanced stem cell-based wound healing technology to reverse hair thinning and rejuvenate the growth cycle of hair. The procedure involves injecting a combination of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) extracted from the patient and a wound healing material called extracellular matrix (ECM) made by ACell, a regenerative medicine company, into an area affected with hair loss.
What Does Regenerative HT Involve?
Hair regeneration is composed of the following properties:
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) – the isolated serum obtained from a patient’s own blood which contains regenerative healing and growth factors
- Extracellular matrix (ECM) – a wound healing material that stimulates the body’s production of adult Growth factor, which in turn stimulates hair growth by hair follicles affected by genetic and other causes of hair loss
- Vitamin D – the nutrient that is known to help increase the viability of hair follicles grown in tissue cultures to transplantable hair follicles
- Other hair growth and natural healing factors
Who is a Good Candidate for Regenerative HT?
You are deemed as a good candidate for regenerative HT if you have hair loss due to the following factors:
- Male pattern hair loss
- Female pattern hair loss
- Alopecia areata and alopecia totalis, hair loss conditions
- Iron deficiency and medication-induced hair loss
- Hypotrichosis, a condition that affects hair growth
How Does Regenerative HT Work?
Regenerative HT procedure takes less than a couple of hours and is known to be effective for 2 to 5 years or beyond. Individual results may vary based on the individual’s hair loss profile.
During the procedure, local anesthetic is applied to the scalp to numb the area and a combination of platelet-rich plasma, extracellular matrix, and other growth factors are strategically injected into the scalp. This triggers a wound healing response from adult Growth factor which results in the stimulation of hair growth in places devoid of hair and improves the quality of existing hair. This combination of effect results in enhanced hair quality and longevity as well as scalp coverage in individuals.
Recovery from Regenerative HT
Recovery is fairly quick and uneventful as this is a minor non-surgical procedure and involves the following instructions:
- You may experience a sore scalp for at least two days after injections. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s) such as ibuprofen will be provided to address pain and soreness.
- A mild swelling of the forehead may be observed after injections in the first 2 days. This is normal and will resolve on its own in a couple of days.
- You should refrain from any strenuous activities until the swelling resolves.
- There are no restrictions on hair washing and you can wash your hair usually immediately after the injections.
- You can expect new hair growth within a couple of months but is usually more evident in 4 to 8 months with continued improvement observed up to a year after injections.
Benefits of Regenerative HT
Hair regeneration treatment can be so effective in treating hair loss that most individuals who receive regenerative HT treatment do not require any additional hair transplant procedures. However, hair regeneration can also function synergistically to improve the results of hair transplants which have already been performed in the following ways:
- The combination of the wound-healing materials in hair regeneration can be utilized to enhance the healing process of the incisions created by follicular unit extraction (FUE) or follicular unit transplantation (FUT) on the donor area on the back or sides of the head.
- Hair regeneration can reverse progressive and future hair loss – a crucial issue that hair transplants alone cannot address.
- Hair regeneration’s wound healing components can enhance the healing rate of transplanted hair follicles, thereby improving the survival rate of transplanted hair grafts.