What is FUT?
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), also known as strip surgery, is a hair restoration procedure where a strip of hair-bearing scalp is removed from a donor area (usually the back or sides of the scalp where hair is more resistant to balding) and natural groups of 1 to 4 hairs (follicular units) are extracted from the strip and transplanted into the areas of the scalp needing treatment.
Benefits of FUT
Some of the benefits of FUT hair transplantation technique include:
- Enables restoration of relatively larger areas
- Procedure is less time consuming compared to certain types of FUE
- The procedure does not require shaving hence it is more discrete and a preferred technique for female hair restoration
- Minimal injury to the recipient area compared to earlier techniques
- Minimal damage to donor area
- Grafts show a high rate of survival
- Natural looking results