Eyebrow Hair Transplantation
Eyebrow hair transplantation is a minimally invasive surgical technique to transplant hair from a donor site (usually the scalp) to the eyebrows to give appropriate fullness, shape and density to your eyebrows.
The main function of the eyebrow is to keep moisture and sweat away from the eyes. The shape of the eyebrows also contributes to the aesthetic appearance of your face. Natural, full volume eyebrows with an elegant shape enhance facial beauty, particularly, in women.
Causes for Eyebrow Hair Loss
Eyebrow hair loss is a less common condition that can occur due to overplucking, stress, nutrient deficiency, hormonal imbalance, eczema, contact dermatitis, fungal infection and autoimmune diseases such as alopecia areata and psoriasis.
Need for Eyebrow Hair Transplantation
Eyebrow hair transplantation may be recommended for:
- Increasing the volume of the eyebrow
- Hiding of surgery, burn or accident scars
- Getting a desired shape of the eyebrow
Am I a Suitable Candidate for Eyebrow Hair Transplantation?
You may be a suitable candidate for eyebrow hair transplant if you have very scanty or no eyebrows due to excessive hair plucking, genetic factors, or trauma; have enough of viable hair in the back of your scalp for harvesting donor follicles, and are otherwise relatively healthy.
Preparing for Eyebrow Hair Transplantation
Your doctor will examine your eyebrows for the hair loss and review your medical history, medications and allergies. A few basic blood tests may be ordered. Avoid smoking, consuming alcohol or caffeinated drinks 2-3 days prior to the procedure. If you are on blood-thinning medication your doctor may advise you to stop them temporarily.
The shape and pattern of eyebrow hair transplantation will also be discussed.
The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia and includes the following steps:
- You are seated in a pre-operative suite in front of a mirror.
- Your surgeon uses a marker to outline the desired shape of the eyebrow.
- Your surgeon along with a team of highly experienced technicians will harvest the individual follicles from the most suitable section of your donor area
- Recipient sites are created by your surgeon in the eyebrows using small surgical blades.
- The donor hair grafts are inserted into the recipient sites in the proper position, orientation and density to produce a natural result.
- Take prescribed pain medications and antibiotics to manage pain and infection.
- Keep your face dry for about 3 days and avoid any strenuous activity.
- Avoid smoking, consuming alcohol and caffeinated drinks for at least the first 72 hours.
- Avoid repeated touching, scratching, picking and exposure to direct sunlight for a few weeks.
- Tiny crusts will fall off after a few days from the transplanted region. You can use makeup after all the crusts have fallen away.
Hair growth may occur after 3-4 months and full density will be reached after a year. Trimming of hair may be required to get the desired shape.
Complications are rare but can include redness, swelling, bruising, infection and scarring.
The various advantages include:
- Painless procedure
- Restores hair permanently
- Natural-looking results
At Cosmesurge, our state-of-the-art eyebrow hair transplantation techniques ensure a high success rate in our patients producing amazing and natural-looking results. Talk to the hair transplantation experts at CosmeSurge for more information.